“I am satisfied …with the awareness and a glimpse of the marvelous structure of the existing world, together with the devoted striving to comprehend a portion, be it ever so tiny, of the Reason that manifests itself in nature” – Albert Einstein
Hiofan is fascinated by the biological world and passionate about hybridizing biology and nanotechnology. Her current goal is to develop innovative bio-mimetic systems and materials with applications in medicine, green chemistry, and agriculture. Her expertise lies in the areas of protein engineering and analytical chemistry, having published in several high-impact journals and holding several patents.
Hiofan is optimistic about accelerating advances in science and technology and believes momentous discoveries lie ahead that will benefit all living beings. When she is not working at the bench, Hiofan enjoys staying active, playing board games with friends, and indulging in New York Style cheesecake and Belgian chocolate. When the opportunity presents itself in the future, she plans to pursue exotic adventures by traveling the globe internationally.
To see Hiofan’s complete professional profile, please visit her on LinkedIn
- PhD., in Chemical Biology, University of Alberta, Canada
- BSc., in Chemistry, Peking University, China
- A. Belal, B. Sell, H. Hoi, M. W. Davidson, R. E. Campbell, ” Optimization of a genetically encoded biosensor for cyclin B1-cyclin dependent kinase “, Molecular BioSystems, 2014, 10, 191-195.
- H. Hoi, Y. Ding, and R. E. Campbell, “FRET with fluorescent proteins”. An invited book chapter for Förster Resonance Energy Transfer: From Theory to Applications,Eds. I. Medintz and N. Hildebrandt, Wiley VCH Publishing House, November 2013, p431-473.
- H. Hoi, E. S. Howe, Y. Ding, W. Zhang, M. A. Baird, B. R. Sell, J. R. Allen, M. W. Davidson, R. E. Campbell, ” An engineered monomeric Zoanthus sp.yellow fluorescent protein”. Chemistry & Biology, 2013, 10, 1296-1304.
- H. Hoi, T. Matsuda, T. Nagai, and R. E. Campbell, “Highlightable Ca2+indicators for live cell imaging”. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2013, 135, 46-49.
- A. L. McEvoy, H. Hoi, M. Bates, E. Platonova, P. J. Cranfill, M. W. Davidson, H. Ewers, J. Liphardt, and R. E. Campbell, “mMaple: a photoconvertible fluorescent protein for use in multiple conventional and super-resolution imaging modalities”.PLoS ONE, 2012, 7, e51314.
- Y. Ding, H. Ai, H. Hoi, and R. E. Campbell, “FRET-based biosensors for multiparameter ratiometric imaging of Ca2+dynamics and caspase-3 activity in single cells”. Analytical Chemistry, 2011, 83, 9687-9693.
- H. Hoi, N. C. Shaner, M. W. Davidson, C. W. Cairo, J. Wang, and R. E. Campbell, “A monomeric photoconvertible fluorescent protein for imaging of dynamic protein localization”. Journal of Molecular Biology, 2010, 401,776-791.