“As a social commitment to the people of the future, we must concern ourselves with what we can do to improve their lives right now.”
One of Sinoj’s greatest professional accomplishments includes new product development and establishing standard operating procedure for the mass production of sustainable biopolymers from renewable resources and developing Nano bio-enhanced functional coatings.
Sinoj has strong family values that drive him to make the world a better place for his two young sons, and says his work in Nanotechnology is only a small part in his overall contribution; he believes in empowering younger generations can make a difference. Giving back to his community is important to him and he is part of an informal global organization supporting the education of children and wants to see every child have the chance to go to school within his lifetime.
- 2011-2013: Senior Research Officer; Hy-power Nano Inc., NINT Innovation Centre, Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA
- 2009- 2011: Research Associate; Chemical and Materials Engineering Department, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA.
- 2007-2009: Post-doctoral Fellow; Agricultural Food and Nutritional Science, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA
- 2001-2002: Lecturer in Organic Chemistry, Mahatma Gandhi University (K.E College Mannanam), Kottayam, Kerala, India
- 1997-1999: Research chemist (Quality Control) Synthite Industrial Chemicals Limited, Kerala, India
- PhD., Chemical Engineering, (Macromolecular Engineering and Organic Industrial Chemistry), Pusan National University South Korea and Cornell University USA (2003-2007).
Thesis Title: “Synthesis and Characterization of Block Copolymers & Polymer-block-Polypeptide Conjugates: Utilization as Building Blocks for Nano/Micro Functional Materials”
Thesis Supervisor: Professor Kim Il, Co-Advisor: Prof. C A Batt
- MSc., Chemistry (Organic and Analytical Chemistry) Mahatma Gandhi University, India (1999-2001). Thesis Title: “De-alkylation and Trans-alkylation of organic industrial waste towards value added phenols”. Thesis Supervisor: Professor John Chandy
BSc., Petrochemical Engineering, Mahatma Gandhi University, India (1995-1997)
Polymeric and Biopolymeric Synthesis and Engineering; polymersomes and Proteopolymersomes; Organometallic metallocene catalysis; Olefin and gas phase polymerization; Design and synthesis of supported and regenerative catalyst ; Polymer Process Engineering and Applications; Micro-fluidics; Lab-On-Chip applications; Pilot plant/scale-up; Monomer and amino acid designing; special peptide synthesis (SPS) and functionalization; biopolymers and conjugates for regenerative medicine; photopolymers; stimuli responsive surfaces and systems; bio-inspired functional membrane fabrication; oil-water separation constructs; fabrication of functional contact lens; targeted delivery systems
- Carlo Montemagno Anu Stella Mathews, Sinoj Abraham, Surjith Kumaran, “Next steps for 4D printing” PCT Application. Filed on September 16 / 2015
- Carlo Montemagno Sinoj Abraham, Surjith Kumaran, “Stimuli-Switchable Moieties, Monomers and Polymers Incorporating Stimuli-Switchable moieties, and Methods of Making and Using Same” PCT Int. Appl. (2016), WO 2016029307 A1 20160303.
- Carlo Montemagno, Jeffery Germain, Kyle Minor, Sinoj Abraham, Hiofan Hoi, , Yuan He, “Functionalized Beta-Sheet Peptide Stabilized Membrane Proteins, Constructs Comprising Same, and Methods of Forming and Using Same” PCT Int. Appl. (2016), WO 2016029308 A1 20160303
- Hadi Mahabadi, Sinoj Abraham; Joseph G. Grzyb, Juan-Pablo Bravo-Vasquez, Nalaka Hewamamddumma, Guibin Ma, Nathan Gerein, “Processes for producing precipitated precursor metal oxide nanoparticles, particulate metal oxide solids and uses therefor” PCT Int. Appl. (2015), WO 2015120545 A1 20150820.
- Hadi Mahabadi, Sinoj Abraham; Juan-Pablo Bravo-Vasquez, Guibin Ma, Nathan Gerein, “Continuous preparation of indium-tin coprecipitates and homogeneous indium tin oxide Nano powders with controllable shape and particle size” PCT Int. Appl. (2014), WO 2014029005 A1 20140227, CA 2787584 A1 20140222.
- Sinoj Abraham; Chang-Sik Ha; Park chin woo; Park chin Ho; Il Kim; “Synthesis of new precursors for Polyimide-silica hybrid systems”, Korean patent, 2006, 12(3), No: 10-2006-0112066, Application No: 10-2005-0034466
- “Plasma protein adsorption to zwitterionic poly (carboxybetaine methacrylate) modified surfaces: chain chemistry and end-group effects on protein adsorption kinetics, adsorbed amounts and immunoblots” Biointerphases, 2012, 7, 40.
- “Poly(Carboxybetaine Methacrylic acid) modified Nanoparticles: Model System for Studying the Effect of Chain Chemistry on Film Properties, Adsorbed Protein Conformation, and Clot Formation Kinetics” Biomacromolecules, 2011, 12, 3567.
- “Multi-functional initiator and poly(carboxybetaine methacrylamides) for building biocompatible surfaces using Nitroxide mediated free radical polymerization strategies”Journal of Polymer Sci., Part A: Polym. Chem, 2011, 49(5), 1051-1060. (Cover page article)
- “A Facile Synthesis of Lipid Stabilized Gold Nanoparticles: A Step towards Biodegradable Biosensors” Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, 2011, 11(8), 7027-7032.
- “Nonfouling polycarboxybetaine-grafted surfaces by nitroxide mediated free radical polymerization” Transactions Society of Biomaterials, 2010, 2, 515-517.
- “Self-Assembled Nanostructures of Oleic acid and their capacity for Encapsulation and Controlled Delivery of Nutrients” Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, 2009, 9, 6326-6334.
- “Polynonanolactone Synthesized from Vegetable Oil: Evaluation of Physical Properties biodegradation and Drug Release Behavior” Journal of Polymer Science, Part A: Polym. Chem., 2009, 47(23), 6373-6387.
- “Microfluidic Synthesis of Reversibly Swelling Porous Polymeric Microcapsules with Controlled Morphology” Advanced Materials, 2008, 20(11), 2177-2182
- “A Facile Preparative Method for Aggregation Free Gold Nanoparticles using Poly(styrene-block-cysteine)”Angew. Chem. Intl. Ed., 2007, 46(30), 5720-5723.
- “Encapsulation of Single Small Gold Nanoparticles by Diblock Copolymers” Chem.Phys.Chem. 2008, 9(3), 388-392.
- “Synthesis of vinyl-type functionalized Polynorbornene with cyclic pendant Imide side groups by using palladium-based catalyst for low dielectric constant materials” Reactive and Functional Polymers, 2008, 68(12), 1619-1624.
- “Synthesis of Star Polymers via Nitroxide Mediated Free-Radical Polymerization: A ‘Core-First’ Approach Using Resorcinarene-Based Alkoxyamine Initiators” Journal of Polymer Science, Part A: Polymer Chemistry, 2007, 45(23), 5559-5572.
- “Synthesis of stable ‘gold nanoparticle-polymeric micelle’ conjugates: A new class of star ‘molecular-chimera’ that self-assemble into linear arrays of spherical micelles” Journal of Polymer Science, Part A: Polymer Chemistry, 2007, 45(16), 3570-3579.
- “Synthesis of Star-like Random Copolymers from Resorcinarene-Based Octa-Functional Alkoxyamine Initiator via Nitroxide Mediated Free Radical Polymerization” Macromolecular Research, 2007, 15(4), 324-329.
- “Synthesis and Confirmation of Three-dimensionally Ordered Macroporous Syndiotactic Polystyrene and Poly(p-methyl styrene)” Macromolecular Rapid Communications, 2007, 28(15), 1534-1539.
- “Micro-fluidics assisted fabrication of uniform polymeric microcapsules: An evaluation study of their encapsulation behavior.” Polymer Preprints, 2006, 47(2), 882-883.
- “Synthesis of Multinuclear Pyridylimine Based Palladium(II) Complexes with a Functionalized Star Polystyrene Core and Evaluation of Their Catalytic Activity towards Ethylene Oligomerization” Macromolecular Rapid Communications, 2006, 27, 1386-1392.
- “Microfluidics assisted synthesis of well-defined spherical polymeric microcapsules and their utilization as potential encapsulants” Lab On a Chip, 2006, 6, 752-756.
- “Self-assembly of star-shaped polystyrene-block-polypeptide copolymers synthesized by the combination of atom transfer radical polymerization and ring-opening living polymerization of a-amino acid-N-Carboxyanhydrides (NCA)” Journal of Polymer Science, Part A: Polymer Chemistry, 2006, 44(9), 2774-2783.
- “Synthesis of poly(styrene-block tert-butyl acrylate) star polymers by atom transfer radical polymerization and micellization of their hydrolyzed polymers” Journal of Polymer Science, Part A: Polymer Chemistry, 2005, 43(24), 6367-6378.
- “Copolymerizations of Ethylene with 1-Hexene over Ansa-Metallocene Diamine Complexes”, Macromolecular Research, 2004, 12(3), 316.